A jogger was hit by a car driven by a CU student on the evening of April 23.
Boulder resident Joseph Sampson,24, was running along Colorado Avenue near the Dal Ward Athletic Center when a SUV driven by Erika Petrak, a 21-year-old senior engineering physics major, drove onto the sidewalk.
Petrak struck Sampson and a “Road Closed” sign, according to a press release from the CU Police Department.
Passersby told police that Sampson “flew onto the hood of the SUV and was pinned between the vehicle and the sign,” according to the statement.
Petrack told police that she believed her vehicle was in reverse when she pressed the gas. When she drove forward she tried to brake but instead pressed the gas pedal, according to the release.
Sampson suffered minor injuries and was taken to Boulder Community Hospital. Petrak has received a summons for careless driving causing bodily injury.
Contact CU Independent Breaking News Editor Annie Melton at Anne.email@example.com.
- Female student pedestrian seriously injured by vehicle on Folsom
- CUPD looking to improve pedestrian safety on campus
- Moped driver in fatal crash indentified
- Student ticketed with filing false police report
- Student group urges campus to “Stay classy” on 4/20